Ep. 27: Dara Lamb Dresses Women for Success and Leadership
"What I see, is when women approach their wardrobe, a lot of them try and sort of, I'll call it, they like to get away with it. 'Oh, I think I could get away with this outfit.' I always like to say, 'Getting away with it is not really getting ahead.' When you're investing in a wardrobe and you say, 'Well, I'm just going to do the minimum here. What I can get away with.' You're not saying, 'I'm investing in my career for the long term.'"
Dara Lamb started her company Dara Lamb Couture in 1985 after wearing the right outfit changed her life. As a young woman in a male dominated industry, Dara struggled to find the right apparel to convey she deserved a seat at the table. But when she found the perfect suit, her career took off. She became passionate about dressing women for leadership and creating clothes that meet powerful women at their level. Three decades later, her company continues its track record of success.
In this episode, we discuss how Dara started out, her entrepreneurial journey, the conflict in the workplace women feel with the imposter syndrome, the powerful impact of what we wear on our lives, putting on the shoulders of authority, how passion is an anchor that you can go back to when you struggle, finding financial abundance, using your wardrobe strategically, and more!
"I often say that I started my company because wearing the right outfit changed my life...when I put that suit on, I felt so much more confident."
In this episode you'll learn:
- Dara is the founder of Dara Lamb Couture which makes clothes designed to help women succeed.
- Dara was inspired to start her business after a single outfit changed the direction of her career.
- She used to work in a masculine environment selling large contracts and needed the confidence to sit at the table.
- One suit helped her confidence so that within 6 months she was the leading sales person in the company.
- Many women nowadays dress in clothes they can “get away with”.
- If you’re not investing in yourself then you aren’t investing in your long term career.
- Dara’s clothes help people secure jobs at interviews and she has a very high success rate.
- When you get dressed you’re sending a message about who you want to be that day and this creates a mindset for the days activities.
- Clothes can make you unconsciously behave, walk and talk differently.
- Your cognitive powers can increase depending on what you are wearing.
- If you’re working in a service based company your passion needs to be based in serving people.
- Do something you’re passionate about because business is not a bed of roses and your passion will be an anchor in a stormy sea.
- There’s nothing safe in a career today, no matter what level you’re at.
- What your client needs and what your passion is are two difference conversations so you need to find where they intersect and set up your business there.
- Do more work with charities, select one and have a long term and meaningful relationship.
- Do more networking, especially in person rather than online.
Don't be afraid to be the authority in the room, you are the authority
Focus intently on what you bring to others and that can bring you financial abundance.
Getting away with it is not really getting ahead.